Friday, June 03, 2005

Poker Poker Poker.

Recently I have been introduced to a lot of new people, all part of my quest to know everyone in Adelaide, I figure I will know them all in about 3 years time. Aaaaanyway, most of these people I am meeting are addicted to poker, or for those of you in the know, a form of poker called 'Texas Hold'em'.

Now don't get me wrong its quite an exciting game and is a lot of fun too play but I'm starting to get the feeling that these people are going too far. They have bought special tables and tiny video cameras to make it just like the real life major tournaments...some have even quit their jobs. Now this is borderline on obsessional. With each new tournament that come around another person looses $50. Its called an addiction, a gambling addiction.

I worry for these people...as with heroin addicts, people with these thirsts for some new high in life develop their own language, for example a heroin dealer will ask you if you 'are chasing' meaning 'do you want some heroin kind sir?' poker addicts also have their own lingo. The lingo is probably the scariest part of it all.

Expressions like 'on the button', 'down the river' and 'slap a jimmy' are all obvious terms used to help a fellow addict know how to get their next high. I don't know about you but the last time was 'on the button' I sure as hell didn't loose $50 for doing it. The toilet just flushed and I went on with my life.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's funny i live in Adelaide and was completly unaware of this gambling problem that is uprising at the moment. It sounds sort of funny though, i mean they've even bought little cameras. Myabe i'll come across one of these poker fanatics in my travels ;)

2:02 PM, June 06, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thats crazy

you should tell your friends they oughta do something constructive with their lives...

2:14 PM, June 06, 2005  
Blogger ~~~ said...

jeez, you guys need take a look at how constructive your 9 to 5 grind is

12:30 PM, June 07, 2005  
Blogger Kaufman said...

Yeah! You tell 'em Tilda!

Stop putting labels on these phucking phreaks, y'all! I hear Poke Her is the new black, yes-yes? Besides, Poker addicts are arseholes just like you and I iz, no matter how many mules we cornhole! And what's more, they don't have the dosh or patience required to fight you so-called name-callers in a court of so-called reasonably unbiased law!

Yeah! You tell 'em Tilda! How's life, BTW?

Oh, and good observation, Matt. I'm halfway across the world [it's a plan I can't tell you about just yet] and I got the same impression from waaaaay over hyar. In factamundo, my Doctor and I have written about it. Infactamundo squared, people have told us about Poke Her being the new black. In Adelaide, that is. The world's a bloody small and freaky-deaky place when you [used to] live in Adelaide, innit?

; )

2:17 PM, June 08, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahh, the inept and niave, how little do they and how big they comment.

I hear that people in bands are intraverted weeners with no access to any kind of emotion and use music as that medium, they hang around in smokey pubs with alcolholics which they later become and end up on the street injecting herion into thier arms and selling thier trashed cake hole for money...........

Is this true, surely its what society sees as the workings of a dole bludger in a band that do little for the scial endeavour of this planet......??

9:21 AM, July 01, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home