Monday, June 27, 2005

Close but no cigar

Well the other day I came as close to my death as I probably have ever been. Well actually I have probably been a lot closer to being beaten to death several times in bars around town, but this time I had doctors actually concerned.

Turns out I am allergic to penicillin. And all of a sudden too cause Ive been taking it for years with no troubles. I went very red and puffy. My friend James walked me to the hospital and I gradually got more and more puffy and itchy. He kept my spirits up by singing songs about the fatherland, he has some sort of reggae fetish...but my spirits were soon trampled on when he mentioned that some shit oozing out of my eyes. I must have looked freaked out cause when I asked about it he pretended it wasnt really happening or something, but that only made me more concerned, like when a guy in a war movie has had his legs blown off and he asks his buddy if it looks bad, and his buddy lies to him to make his last moments on earth a bit nicer, 'nah youll be back home scoring touchdowns in a couple weeks'...20 seconds later that character is dead and the buddy is stealin his smokes.

Anyway the nurses and doctors rushed me through to emergency and took of my clothes to reveal my horrible red body, which is usually a horrible pale colour. They put things on and in me and made lie down and hooked me up to machines. It was a bit scary. I actually got scared when I saw how quickly they were reacting to me, Ive been in ER before and they treated me with a lot less concern as I was only semi-concussed, when I could see that they were actually worried about my well being I too became worried.

But it all only lasted about 30 minutes and after having been given a whole pile of drugs I got back my pale skin and just felt really drowsy. Plus the drip in my arm made it really saw and hard to move...specially when I was trying to get my mobile phone which the nurse had placed in my shoe in a bag under my bed. What they hell was he trying to do!? I had visions of being on one of those pranks shows, 'now lets watch as he tries to answer his mobile phone while being hooked up to all those wires and machines, we could say he's a little tied up!'

I was let out of hospital after about 5 hours or so, only to have to face a sober evening at home. No alcohol was allowed you see, something to do with my health....

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you get some time off work?

9:06 AM, July 01, 2005  
Blogger matt said...

yeah... a whole day and a half!

11:58 AM, July 07, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home