Thursday, November 10, 2005

Pete Murray = Genius

Of all the surfy folk types out there, like Jon Butler Trio, Xavier Rudd, Jack Johnson etc, the one I can stand the most is easily Pete Murray.

For a start he looks too old and bulky to be a rock star, we already have Alex Lloyd. I guess to Pete Murray's credit he seems to be a fit old man. Probably wont fill out as much as poor old Alex has. Pete also has this horrible smug look on his face when he sings and almost comes across as slightly masogonistic...

But these are not the reasons which I cant stand him. It is for his ability to write horribly boring songs that I get stuck in my head for a very long time. His recent single 'Better Days' has to be one of the worst songs I have heard in a long time. The lyrics are trite, the melody is extremely boring and the arrangement is so obvious that it hurts my ears.

And yet I have had it in my head for ages. The same has happened with a few of his songs.

I have decided that Pete Murray is in fact a genius.

Somehow through writing these awful awful songs, with such boring melodies he has managed to make his songs known to me and a large majority of the population. He has also somehow managed to fool people into thinking he is a very talented and deep songwriter.

He has achieved a success in music that I never will and has done all of this without one ounce of songwriting smarts. He has also somehow got a lot of people thinking he is a sensitive man. COME ON! He is a dumb bulky type who you see out at places like the Stag and Heaven. Someone just handed this one a guitar...

Hats off to you though Pete Murray. You have done it all. And look like you will continue to be successful for sometime without ever having to change anything or excite your audience.

You are indeed a genius.

8 Comments:

Blogger matt said...

you know what im talkin about smart guy...how do you spell it?

1:12 PM, November 10, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mysogynistic i think

2:26 PM, November 10, 2005  
Blogger Drew said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:46 PM, November 10, 2005  
Blogger Drew said...

It's about time someone came right out and said this. He's totally just some guy you'd see at a pub. And he has this whine to his voice which, along with his constipated facial expression, just makes it seem as though he's in pain.

And am I the only one who doesn't really get Alex Lloyd? I mean, he can play guitar and write songs but I just can't see what's really great about him. There must be a hundred guys around playing in pubs that are just as good.

2:47 PM, November 10, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you can't stand him?
can you??

10:12 PM, November 10, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man I dont care what anyone else said....
WHAT GOT DELETED!!!!!!!
i need to know! or my verification word isnt cucgnipq


Oh and John Mayer is Pete Murrays long lost somewhat skinnier but just as annoying just with a little more enthusiasim american cousin.

9:47 AM, November 11, 2005  
Blogger pohdoinmotion said...

give Pete Murray a band and they'd be called No Through Road. hahahahhahahahahahahha

10:09 AM, November 11, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

At least Pete Murray has talent, something you are still striving for Matt, look under your pillow perhaps???

5:49 PM, November 11, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home