Friday, February 17, 2006

On the Subject of Heckling

I was at a show the other night were someone was heckling. The performer was from the US and was considered something of a big shot. Now his show was good, and a very interesting performance, but I could see how some people could find it boring. I even got bored from time to time. But hell I get bored at most gigs unless I see my friends up on stage, but thats another rant.

So this guy was heckling about him being boring or whatever and a lot of people were gettin angry at him.

I actually found the whole thing quite funny and entertaining. I like seeing audience interaction. I like it as an audience member and as a performer. And I dont think that anyone is beyond being heckled or cheered for that matter. A gig is not a CD. Its in a public arena where the sound of the audience is a part of it. If you want silence when listening, listen to it on CD.

It is a bit odd that someone would wanna pay 15 bucks to heckle someone but maybe they were expecting a different show. And maybe they went too far. But to tell you the truth I could hardly hear the heckler, what I could hear very clearly however was all the people tellin him off.

Its like people who told me to shuush at the movies when I was laughing through a badly done death scene in Dante's Peak, or when I got glares for singing along and requesting songs at Okkervil River.

If you want silence stay at home.


ps. this might annoy my friends. I apologise, but I stand by my opinion.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i considered that post an invitation - to throw minature toy poodles on stage next time you play

c.

6:12 PM, February 18, 2006  
Blogger Kaufman said...

I reckon most of what you wrote is fair and within the scope of what is acceptible from the performer(s) and the audience.

What pisses me off more than anything are performers who are so precious about their performance that they can't bare any noise from the audience. George (the band) springs to mind immediately. I saw them once and never again because of what total cocks they were with regards to the audience speaking during their songs or commenting negatively or scratching their asses noisily or whatever.

To my way of thinking, the same theory should apply to performers: if they don't want interaction with a live audience then they should stay at home and perform there.

If you choose a profession where you're talent is exhibited on a stage, surely a paying member of the audience has the right to assume that your self-esteem and ego aren't made of jelly and that you may have a few crafty one-lined comebacks for undesired heckling.

It's curious that you didn't mention the performer by name.

12:01 PM, February 22, 2006  
Blogger Kaufman said...

That should read ...where 'your' talent...

12:03 PM, February 22, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm George, unfortunately saw them at a 8 band charity gig a year ago... they asked everyone to stop smoking so that Katie's unborn foetus would not be affected...sigh. I hate going home smelling like an ashtray as much as the next non-smoker but come on... live gig people!.. noise, smoke and heckling are a basic human gigging right! Get over it or go home.

8:54 PM, February 22, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://jeem.jojati.com/files/image968.jpg

1:58 PM, February 25, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home